Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Classes Start

I really never thought I would be back in this position again, but here I am, a student again. For the next 3 years I am joined by 38 other insane souls who have decided that now is the time to pursue a Master's in Social Work. To that end we the "lovely" trek to Redding, CA every other weekend. Thankfully after this term some of the courses will be offered on-line & via teleconference which will significantly reduce my travel in the terms to come. On one hand I am thrilled to have the opportunity to pursue this degree and expand my career options, on the other I am rapidly moving towards the live of a grad student... which will including pretty much nothing outside my family, work, and school except during those few precious moments called "breaks". Of course this is a year round program, which means those breaks won't be extrodinarily plentiful. At least I'll be done this term just in time for our yearly vacation to the Oregon Coast.
So please bear with me through this process. There may be times where I seem to be ignoring you... or worse driving you crazy either through my insanity or my excitement about a topic that you have no interest (have I told you about the documentery we are watching about transgendered college students, it's pretty cool). I love you all and am so greatful for all the love, support, and encouragement you have given me.

This weekend was my first weekend of class. Both professors this term seem good... and I have to admit I am a bit more interested in the social policy class than I thought possible (all because of the professor, who is a hoot I might add). I thought I would share a few pictures of the places that will become my home away from home for the next couple of years. We are blessed (and doomed) to be having classes in the new Shasta Center in Redding. The building is beautiful and has a great technology set up... the dooming factor is that as a result of all the wonderful technology there is no food or drinks except for water allowed in the classrooms. We are definitely finding the ways to make the best of our breaks when it comes to caffine and snacks.

Welcome to the Shasta College "Shasta Center" which has been gracious enough to house the CSU Chico weekend MSW classes.


I found this great little place in Anderson to stay, just a couple miles south of Redding. It's about the same distance as my daily commute and the lodging cost was much less. I joke that it is the "hippie" hotel. The Gaia is a new "green" hotel... lots of organics, solar panels, recycled material, etc. I will say that it was one of the most comfortable hotels I have ever slept in and the sheets were super soft and the breakfast was delicious. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos from inside the room but you can see some at www.gaiashasta.com I did get a few shots from outside. The swans were pretty cool.



0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home